The Talisman

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.

The Talisman

The Talisman

Towson’s Asian Student Union

Towson High School has many, and many, clubs. Some related to the environment, some related to skills and some are related to race. One of these racial clubs is the Asian Student Union, or ASU for short. This club is focused on Asian American issues and struggles in Towson High School, but since I am not Asian, I cannot tell you what it’s like. So, I’ve decided to ask the people of the club what it’s like in ASU and how they handle their problems.

One of the more important parts of this club is, how it’s run and what a typical meeting would be like. Most recent meetings have been a little chaotic and a lack of strong order. They have clubs on most Tuesdays or Wednesdays averaging over 20 people each meeting. However, what people do and work on are related to the struggles and experiences of an Asian American. People normally bring in Asian American snacks from their houses, to enhance the feeling of culture in the club. Another important thing is how this club makes people feel regardless.

Before this club, a lot of Asian Americans in Towson felt misunderstood, lonely, and a lack of people to relate to. The club was reestablished early around the 2022-2023 school year but not with as many members. Now a lot of Asian Americans in this club feel like a missing piece has been found when they entered this club. A lot of them finally feel connected to others like them and understood. Even some non-Asians like to hang around here and even they feel warm inside as they enter the club.

One of the more serious topics of this club is discussion about Asian hate and Asian discrimination in Towson. A lot of Asians in this club have been victimized in Towson or faced discrimination in Towson High School. That is why a lot of them have flocked to this club, to seek shelter. Another thing this club likes to discuss is current events going on in the world and how it relates to Asian American problems.

In conclusion, the Asian Student Union is a welcoming social, and relaxed club. Meetings are frequent and they are topic based. This club is also very diverse with not only east Asians, but south, west and a couple non-Asians as well. I personally believe this is a very wholesome club and a place for everyone, especially Asian American students.