The Talisman

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.

The Talisman

The Talisman

Morgan’s Message

Morgans Message

Did you know that up to 35% of ALL athletes struggle with mental health?

It has been proven time and time again that sports are just as much mental as it is physical, some even say that the mental aspect is bigger than the physical aspect. Sports are one of the biggest forms of entertainment in the world, people plan their day around watching the big football game or make trips to new locations for the chance to see their favorite team play.

It is to be imagined that pressure the media, family, friends, fans, and whomever is a lot more than one may think. In the Tokyo Olympics, the world was shocked to hear the announcement by Simone Biles saying that she decided to no longer be on Team USA and was dropping out of All-Around competition. She had mentioned on Instagram previously that, “I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times. I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but d*** sometimes its hard.”

So, some students by the names of Scarlett Spaulding, Caroline Richards, and Carter Chambers decided to support a national non-profit organization that is dedicated to fight for the ending of the stigma surrounding mental health, especially in athletes. The organization is called Morgan’s Message and was originally created by Morgan’s family after the death of Morgan because of her struggles with mental health as an athlete.

I got the chance to sit down with Scarlett and fully understand the idea of Morgan’s Message. When asked why she decided to start this club at Towson, she stated, “I am very passionate about raising awareness for mental illness because it is rarely discussed. We wanted to create a safe space for everyone to talk about their challenges and offer advice.” By joining the club, you have a great way of getting involved in the community, get service learning hours, and make a difference in school. As a member of the club, all you need to do is attend the meetings whenever it is possible and keep a positive attitude as much as you can. Lastly the meetings are once a month, usually on Tuesday or Thursday right after school. The meeting dates are subject to chance, so if you are interested in joining follow the Instagram for updates and for more information on the organization in general, head to the website.

Instagram – @thsmorgansmessage

Site – https://www.morgansmessage.org/