2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Photo via NBC Sports

Photo via NBC Sports

Photo via NBC Sports

Photo via NBC Sports

Jacob Guttman, Staff Writer

Tensions have been high between NBA players as fists have been thrown, jerseys ripped, and suspensions given.  The ultimate relationship between refs and players is at an all-time low. 

As star players have gotten in the mix, maybe it makes games more interesting.  Russell Westbrook vs. Kevin Durant is slowly developing into a classic as things heat up in every Warriors Thunder matchup. 

Aside from ongoing beefs, physical altercations during games have become regular.  In the second quarter of a Magic and Timberwolves contest, Magic guard Arron Afflalo threw a haymaker punch at Timberwolves’ Nemanja Bjelica.  Bjelica went on to put Afflalo into a headlock and as a result, both players were fined; however, Afflalo was suspended for two games. 

All stars Draymond Green and Bradley Beal got into it one night.  A dirty play turned into a Warriors vs. Wizards brawl in which two Wizards violated and NBA rule in leaving their bench.  All in all, it resulted in Green’s ejection and a fine for both them.  It also included suspensions for both Markeiff Morris and Carrick Felix who left the Wizards’ bench during the altercation. 

These continuous clashes between players has affected the refs too.  The NBA community has grown a hatred for refs as they’ve been very aggressive with technical fouls and ejections.  D’Angelo Russell, who was sitting out with a knee injury appeared to be mockingly clapping at a ref after a call.  This seemed to be casual effort at getting in the ref’s face in clean way. However, referee Brian Forte didn’t hesitate to issue a technical foul to the inactive player. 

There has been no call-to-action in regards to fights.  In December, the NBA referee association met to discuss the ongoing problems, but even since then the relationship between players and refs has only gotten worse. 

With referees becoming trigger-happy with technical fouls, you’d think it would keep players in check.  This is not the case.  Players are still walking all over refs, with no relent, regardless of the punishments of their actions. Past that, there’s nothing the association can do.  The players have to comply to their league’s rules, or the penalty with have to be much more severe. 

As things heat up and teams prepare for the playoffs, the competition will become more demanding.  We should expect to see more brawls and beefs, but does it keep the league more interesting? 

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

The Words of a Woman

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

Yes, Donald Trump Threatened the Migrant Caravan (and, Yes, He Lied About it)

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

2018 NFL Mid-Season Predictions

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

Deadlines, Deadlines, Deadlines

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

How Devices Help Towson

• Opinion

How Students Feel About the Kavanaugh Hearings

• 2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

Opinion

Locking Down The Details

• Opinion

How Brett Kavanaugh Has Already Poisoned America

• Opinion

New Nike Deal, Same Divisons on Pledge and Anthem

• Opinion

The Audacity of Blaming Victims at Santa Fe High

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.
2018: Less Basketball, More Fights