The Addams Family Production

“They’re creepy and they’re kooky,/ mysterious and spooky./ They’re all together ooky,/ The Addams Family!”

Our generation is too young to remember watching the original TV show when it aired; however, it is not uncommon for students to have watched reruns of this popular show with parents or grandparents.

On March 30, March 31, and April 1, Towson High School hosted a production of the award-winning Broadway musical at 7 p.m., with a Sunday matinée at 2:00 p.m.

The cast, crew, and pit worked hard since January to prepare for the show, especially the last week, with a dress rehearsal running until 8:00 at night, sometimes even later.   The entire cast, crew, and pit are relieved to see the production pull together so nicely, since it hit several bumps along the road, the major one being the resignation of the technical director, Mr. Weber.  Yet the crew managed to dress the stage well because, after all, “the show must go on.”

Senior Madeline Tindall played the role of Morticia Addams.  According to Eileen Tag, an attendee, she “shone.”  Now that the show has drawn to an end, Ms. Tindall has stated that she already misses her character.  “Morticia gave me confidence,” she says.

Many of the other seniors hold bittersweet emotions as well, having just finished their final show at Towson High School.  Some seniors have even been a part of every production in their high school career.  Though senior Sophie Amberger is very glad of her time that’s now been freed up because she’ll have no more rehearsals, a few others were left in tears after Sunday’s matinée.  “It was a mixed bag,” commented Brennan Hula, co-president of the International Thespian Society (ITS).  “I felt great that we had done such a good show, but I also felt really sad, because that was my last performance with THS theater, after being in all seven previous shows.”

There is no doubt that this was a successful last production for the seniors.  “I could not have asked for a better show to end on,” said enthused senior Sandra Ellis, also co-president of ITS.

The backgrounds to the set were beautiful and improved the quality of the talent and focus of the entire cast. In addition, a senior prank involving impromptu references to Red Bull (which the crew was drinking to make up for the late nights) provided an extra dose of laughter.  Most importantly, however, the theater department at Towson High School was able to unify and cooperate, displaying the true qualities of Towson’s character in flying colors.