Ring in Review

It was time for the class of 2019 to receive their shiny new rings. As Towson High sophomores and their dates prep for the annual sophomore Ring Dance, little did they know that Mother Nature had a little surprise.

Baltimore County Schools closed due to snow for two days on the week of the dance causing the dance to be postponed for one week. The dance was then going to be held on March 24th, 2017. A new problem had risen as a handful of spring sports games were slated to take place on the same day.

As a result, Ring was to end at 11 pm instead of the original 10 pm end time. Students were not allowed in after 7:45 pm, but accommodations were made for spring athletes arriving late.

Personally, I checked in at the admission stand with 3 minutes to spare and the dance had not commenced. The students were still settling in and the lights were still on. The students were itching to have a good time, starting a “Turn off the lights!” chant. They got their wish as the lights shut off and the dance got under way.

Music blasted through speakers and lights ran across every wall of the cafeteria; the atmosphere was electric. The DJ treated the students with musical hits ranging from past and present.

If the students needed a break, refreshments were offered in the senior café. Students could grab a bottle of water and for the first time ever, students could treat themselves to some Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. Along with the nuggets came a choice of sauce. A truly extravagant meal for a truly extravagant night.

The night concluded at the original end time of 10 pm instead of 11 pm for unknown reasons. But it’s easy to say that the students still had a great time as they slowly exited the building with smiles on their faces. More pictures were then taken outside, with one memorable event. A group of friends leaned up against the bike rack, and all of a sudden about 5 more kids jump into the picture. Then, even more students joined in, including myself.

It was then time to decide on post-dance activities. While some just headed home, others went out for some dinner. Popular venues included Bill Bateman’s, Pasta Mista, and McDonald’s.

To recap, the dance went without a hitch as students were able to overcome the spring sports conflict and have themselves an enjoyable evening.