Winter Break: Part 2!!

Winter Break: Part 2!!

Winter break is always a week students look forward to. This year, however, students were able to enjoy not one, but TWO winter breaks! Winter storm Jonas bombarded the Mid-Atlantic region, covering some parts in more than two feet of snow and blasting areas with up to 40 mile per hour winds.

Jonas was the largest snow storm in Baltimore’s history. Maryland called for a state of emergency from Friday, the 22th, to Monday, the 25th. Roofs collapsed and people were trapped in their homes for days until plows finally came to the rescue. Even then, the plows created even higher, dirty piles of snow, making it even harder for citizens to dig themselves out and get to the streets again. Emergency vehicles got stuck and had trouble getting to emergency scenes.

Baltimore County School students had off for a total of ten days, including the weekends. A whole second winter break! Schools, parking lots, and sidewalks just couldn’t get shoveled fast enough. Students returned disoriented and teachers are worried about being so behind on the curriculum.

Students are happy with their extra week off. The storm brought many cute snowman, pretty snow angels, and lots of snowball fights. It gave a longer reprieve to the students and let them focus on themselves and good, old fashioned fun. So, thank you Jonas!