Edible Art: You Won’t be Disappointed

The tradition of Edible Art will not cease this year, as NAHS gears up for the beloved celebration. What will be happening? Students will be creating works of art– both original and recreations of famous artwork– out of food. The possibilities are endless, since there is no theme or limitations on the cuisine. Sweet or salty, vegetables or desserts, masterpieces can be created by any student, either with friends or solo. For Caroline Boyle, an NAHS officer, the best part of Edible Art is “seeing people’s creativity and seeing people work out of the box on things we usually don’t do in art class.”

The event will take place on the 17th of February in the cafeteria from 6-8pm. If you are submitting to the gallery, the sign-in will be at the front door on the night of the event. Admission is two dollars or one dollar with a can for the food drive. Make sure you know all the ingredients that went into your creation, and be ready for a great night. NAHS will be bringing in guest judges, wearing handmade wild hats, to critique your work and award prizes. The guest this year will be a surprise and could possibly be a THS alumnus. As for prizes, they will be gift cards for the best businesses around Towson and favorites of students, such as Starbucks and Chipotle.

Even if you aren’t submitting anything, don’t be afraid to stop by! At the end of the night, NAHS will exclaim “Eat the art!” allowing all who attend to dig in and devour all of the food. This is definitely an event that all should be present for. The creations are truly astonishing, as there is everything from food fashion to recreations of the finest paints and sculptures. Both Michael Williams, another officer, and Caroline Boyle encourage students to join the event and support their friends. “EVERYONE should attend this event because it’s a great way for non-art students to support the arts at THS. “And you get to eat tons of yummy and cool looking food!” says Boyle with great enthusiasm. Don’t forget to spread the word!