The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Blood, sweat, and constant pain. These are just some of the things that indoor track athletes deal with daily. However, although it seems like it, the sport is not just a battle to survive, but also a way for students to stay in shape, compete, and showcase their incredible running, throwing, and jumping abilities. Cor Gray, grade 11, is a thrower on the team and recently set a school record. He says, “I love the environment and the competition. The meets are fun, and I can hang out with friends.” 

Track is an excellent way to make new friends, as all different kinds of people join the team. Also, interested students don’t have to try out—if you come to the practices and actively participate, you’re in. Nicole Poling, grade 10, emphasizes this, saying, “Indoor track has many more people, including guys and girls. It’s special because you get to bond with people of all ages throughout our school.” 

The Towson track team is very talented, and the athletes cover a wide variety of activities, ranging from field events such as high jump, to track events such as the mile and sprints, to throwing events such as shotput. Distance runners such as Madeline Till, Claire Briglio, and Miles Kline are some usual point-scorers, as well as sprinters Madeline Kuehn, Braden Hamelin, and JP Magambo and throwers Cory Gray and Damone Moore. The different groups of events make it possible for students with different abilities to find a place on the team. 

Coach McShane, the sprinters’ coach, says, “My favorite part of indoor meets is that we don’t have to worry about the weather. The environment is always the same, making everyone’s times more reliable. A widely-believed myth about this sport is that all practices are held indoors. On the contrary, about 85% of practices are held outside, unless the temperature dips extremely low or snow is on the track. 

Participating in an indoor sport also has its downsides. Coach McShane goes on to say, “Since the tracks are short and slippery, athletes can never push themselves to their limits.” It is true that tracks used in the indoor season are considerably smaller than those found at schools, which are used during the outdoor season. Indoor tracks are also made from a smoother, tile material which makes it difficult for athletes to gain traction. 

At practice, sprinters participate in a variety of events. After general warm-ups, they run around the track or sprint up and down stairs, followed by a strength workout. Distance runners jog through the neighborhoods in almost any type of weather, including rain and sleet. Throwers frequently enjoy the weight room or practice their throws outside as a way of improving their form and ability. 

Max Gadsden, grade 12, is a captain of the team this year. He says, “It’s fun to connect with people suffering the same thing as you every day.” No matter how much athletes complain about the indoor track season, it’s important for them to enjoy it together. It brings unison and cohesiveness to a variety of student-athletes.

About the Writer
Susannah Lehr, Staff Writer

Susannah is a junior and this is her first year on the staff.

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

World News

Why Teens Hate Daylight Saving Time

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

World News

Are the Kardashians Doing it for the Money?

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Opinion

Anti-Teen Towson

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

School News

Ring a Ling Ding

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Opinion

Democrats Must Come Together in 2020

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

World News

Host-less Oscars: Success or Shamble?

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

School News

The Physics Olympics

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Sports

Super Bowl LIII in Review

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

Opinion

State of the Union Address: Success or Failure?

• The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field

World News

28 Days of Black History

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.
The Scoop on Indoor Track and Field