Is It Worth It?

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Ellie Matson, Staff Writer

A recent trend has sprung where teenagers participate in a challenge commonly known as “The tide pod challenge.” Teens pop the laundry detergent pods and consume the oozing liquid inside of it to gain popularity on media sites. This has become a concern to many adults, as they’ve watched videos of it occurring on the internet. According to CBS News, “at least 10 deaths have been linked to ingesting these pods.” 

The irrational concept has brought alarm and debates within the news and from doctors as well. Mark Molloy, a writer for The Telegraph News, noted that Health officials have warned teens that the capsules they are consuming contain highly concentrated toxic contents. Tide Pods are produced to be used as an alternative to liquid detergent, consuming the product is not only unintelligent, but it can also create major health problems.  

The question is why? It is shocking what teenagers will do today in order to gain popularity and attention. Famous Instagram accounts such as “5th Year” and “Total Frat Move” post pictures and videos of students attempting this challenge. Many accounts also poke fun at the current issue; however, this adds unnecessary attention to it.  

According to Ann Marie Buerkle, chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, “what started out as just a joke on the internet has just gone way too far.” The risks completely outweigh any positive attention you could receive from consuming the product.  

Tide pods contain highly poisonous chemicals that could land you in an Emergency room. Why do this to yourself? Nobody can wrap their heads around the strange concept. Doctor Alfred Alge spoke to USA Today saying that “in some cases, some of the detergent could even find its way into the lungs and cause breathing difficulties.” The concern is only growing for the safety of minors consuming this liquid.  

The bottom line is that teens are worried too much about attention and “likes” that they disregard potentially harming themselves. It is essential that this challenge is terminated. Lives could depend on it.  

• World News

US Embassy Moves to Tel Aviv

• World News

The 2018 Flu Epidemic: Your Guide to A Clean Bill of Health

• Is It Worth It?

World News

Super Bowl Sunday in Review

• Is It Worth It?

Opinion

2018: Less Basketball, More Fights

• Is It Worth It?

World News

Women’s March One Year Later

• Is It Worth It?

World News

2018 Winter Olympics Preview

• Is It Worth It?

World News

Net Neutrality was Repealed… Why is Everyone Freaking Out?

• World News

What to Believe

• World News

Car Thefts in Towson

• World News

What’s Up with Comey?

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.
Is It Worth It?