Governor Hogan Taking a Stand

nick-article

It is no secret to Maryland students that next year they will be going back to school after Labor Day and that they will lose most of their spring break. The majority of BCPS parents, students, and teachers are worried about how many days they will gain or lose for the school year. But, what most people are not thinking about are the breakfasts and lunches that some of students are losing.

This issue is much deeper than how many days of school children or teachers have but more for the how everyday needs from students will be neglected. There are many students that depend on school breakfast and lunches. Forcing these families to work with this new schedule is unfair, especially when the sole reason for the change is to boost tourism in Ocean City.

The days that will be lost are valuable days that will be needed to prepare students for the many exams they take year in and year out. Students have a tendency to forget most knowledge over the summer and might not be as prepared as they were in years past for the H S A, PSAT, SAT, ACT, and PARCC.

This seems like somewhat of a rash decision that did not take in all accounts/effects of the decision. Especially when Governor Hogan made this announcement from the beach resort of Ocean City. It was opposed by Michael A. Durso, who is the president of Montgomery County

schools who said that it “ignores critical issues faced by schools and the potential negative instructional impact on students” (as quoted in the Washington Post).

This issue will only truly show its real effects next year.