Ex-THS Football Player Wows UMD

Although his days of wandering through the halls of Towson High School are long over, Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil is still representing the General name. Cudjoe-Virgil, THS class of 2011, is now spending his days tearing up the College Park football field as the starting linebacker for the University of Maryland.

Long before becoming an integral part of the Terps’ defense, Cudjoe-Virgil was an all-division and all-county defensive end and tight end for the Generals, as well as a member of the track team. He was one of the top 800-meter runners in the state, and his speed and agility translated from the track to the turf. Not only did he play in the 2009 All-County game his sophomore year, but he also made the Varsity team his sophomore year, and then served as a team captain for his junior and senior years under Coach Harry McNeir. Says McNeir, “He began to hold his teammates accountable for not making training a priority and for going through the motions at practice.”

Following graduation, Cudjoe-Virgil attended Seton Hill University, a small Division 2 school outside of Pittsburgh, on a full scholarship for football. Because of his strong freshman year, he was named team captain in his second season and backed up his new title by racking up forty-four tackles, five sacks, and six blocked kicks.

After two seasons at Seton Hill, Cudjoe-Virgil transferred to the University of Maryland in 2012. After sitting out the 2012 campaign due to NCAA transfer regulations, he made his UMD debut in 2013. The big Division 1 opponents didn’t intimidate him and he posted eighteen tackles, three sacks and an interception. Unfortunately, in a game against Virginia last October, Cudjoe-Virgil suffered a season-ending pectoral injury.

Being forced to miss the rest of the 2013 season has only made Cudjoe-Virgil stronger, and now, going into his senior year, he is poised to be healthy and ready to threaten offenses across the Big Ten. His success on the field is paralleled by his success off the field; he is obtaining a degree in kinesiology. “[Cudjoe-Virgil]’s work ethic, internal drive and character are what really separates him from other kids with similar ability,” Coach McNeir reflects. “He is a great role model for high school athletes because he has made the most of the opportunities that have been afforded to him.”

As a THS Alum and a soon-to-be graduate of the University of Maryland this December, Cudjoe-Virgil is making Towson proud of the success he has had, and we wish him the best of luck in the future.