Ways to Save During the Holiday Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ways to Save During the Holiday Season

Luke Schwengel, Staff Writer

The holidays are nearing and although you might want to please everybody by getting them the best gifts, it does not mean you need to go bankrupt while doing so. Gift giving is a big part of the holiday season, but it can get pricey. Here are several ways to keep money in the bank during the holiday season.

1. Do Your Research

One of the worst things you could do to yourself when buying gifts is going to the store or shop online unprepared. With so many options of what to buy and where to buy it finding the best place can be tricky. Before you make any purchase look online and go to different websites, check the prices and find out where you can get it for the best price. Most places want to have competitive prices and looking around will only help you.

1. Use Coupons

Lots of times you will receive a coupon in the mail for a certain store that may only be 10% off and you might just toss it aside. That can cost you when the holidays roll around. Every penny counts so look for coupons online and, in the mail, and they can potentially save you in the future.

1. Buy Open Box

Many places like Best Buy offer open box deals that can save you money on some of the technology that you want. Open box means that it was on display or it was returned by a customer. Prices on TVs, computer monitors, and much more can be brought down a ton even though they are practically new.

1. Be Patient, Wait for Sales

Although Black Friday and Cyber Monday might be gone, that doesn’t mean that there won’t be any more sales. Things go on sale every day and if something you have your eye on isn’t on sale now, there is a pretty good chance that it will be between now and Christmas. Once a day, check to see if what you are looking for has gone down in price. If it hasn’t then been patient, it might be hard, but in the end, it will be worth it.

1. New Isn’t Always Better

Although the newer fancier gifts might be more appealing, that doesn’t always mean they are worth it. Often company’s like Apple and Microsoft will release a new product that isn’t so different from the previous one. Maybe they are upgrading the camera on a phone or changing the size of a laptop, changes like these can be minor improvements to some people. If what is being improved on isn’t something you need or even want, you can often save money by buying the older version. Once a new version of a device is released the price often drops off the older ones.

It is easy to get caught up in the gift-giving aspect of the holidays, especially since most places are focused on trying to get the most money out of you as they can, but with a plan and some hard work, the holiday season can be less stressful and more enjoyable.

• Ways to Save During the Holiday Season

School News

2018 Winter Spirit Week Slideshow

Student Life

Holidays Meals from all Around the World

World News

Holiday Lighting Festival Tradition

World News

Lighting the Menorah

Student Life

Finding the Perfect Tree

Student Life

Avoiding Stress Around the Holidays

Opinion

Best Video Games for the Holidays 2018

Sports

Protest or Betrayal?

Student Life

The Stress Of College Applications

Opinion

The Words of a Woman

Our mission is to work as a team to provide relevant and contemporary content that connects the Towson community, one story at a time.
Ways to Save During the Holiday Season