Marching Band’s Guide to the Galaxy

“Space. The final frontier,” announces band director David Rhen as the opening notes to the Star Trek theme song begin to play and the marching band prepares to start their journey through the galaxy. Alien abductions, black holes, and epic battles were all part of the thrilling show.

While the members of the marching band have always had a great experience playing in the band, one thing that stood out for many Marching Generals this year was how welcoming and energetic the band was.

Looking back on the season, Cassie Herman, a senior flute-player who has been in the band for all four years, said, “I feel like marching band was a big community; everyone there was nice and great to be around.” Sophomore Sarah McNary, from the same section, also said, “We all improved a lot and worked really hard, and the end result was definitely worth it!” Morgan Shakoor, a first-year junior from the clarinet section, added, “It’s a lot of work but it definitely pays off. Like, when you see the final show, and you’re like, ‘That’s us, and we rock!’”

For almost half of the 2015-2016 Marching Generals, marching band was a completely new experience; out of 97 students, over 40 joined for the first time this year. Sophomore clarinet player Monae Kerney was very proud of the members: “I think this season was great and I really appreciate all the rookies that joined. I love their energy and overall spirit, and their determination to strive for perfection!” Paul Sambuco, a sophomore from the saxophone section, was one of the rookies who enjoyed the season and was disappointed when it ended, saying, “I’m really sad that it’s ending because I had fun with my friends.”

Matt Vorsteg, a junior in the trumpet section, however, was not as pleased with this year, largely because of Hurricane Joaquin: “We didn’t have as many games as we have had in past years because of all the rain. The trumpet section usually plays truth or dare in the stands, so I didn’t get as much time to hang out with seniors like Jon Ridge, Peter Demestihas, and Luke Powers in their last year.”

For the most part, though, the marching band had an amazing time improving their skills and building new friendships, as sophomore color guard member Edie Fields said: “Learning how to march and spending time with the band was so much fun, and I can’t wait to go to Disney World together this spring!” The band was also happy to finish the season on a good note at the annual Hagerstown Parade, the largest nighttime parade on the entire east coast, placing second in the senior bands category.

As a word to potential future members of the band, senior Samantha Bothwell and this season’s drum major, said, “Marching band is an amazing time to develop new skills and really become part of a community. If you’re thinking about joining, definitely do it!”