Towson High’s Inclusion Revolution

Towson High’s Inclusion Revolution

The Inclusion Revolution has swept through Towson High in the form of the Best Buddies Club, led by club executive Ariel Barbosa. “The Revolution,” a phrase used by the Best Buddies Organization, aims to achieve complete acceptance and integration of individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (ID-DD) into society by pairing non-disabled high school students with disabled high school students.

One of the ways that the Inclusion Revolution is being spread country-wide is through the Convention for the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD) Act. The Act is currently being reviewed by the US government, but it would essentially jump-start the process of ID-DD integration and spread the movement around the world.

Seeking complete acceptance for those with ID-DD in society, Best Buddies pairs students in regular education classes with students in the special education program. The Best Buddies Clubs also aim to aid Buddies in finding employment. “There is currently an 82% unemployment rate of people with ID-DD,” says Barbosa. Leaders do not just stop at friendship; they also help to develop the individualized skills of their Buddies in order to assist them in presenting their unique talents to the job market.

In order to initiate bonding and encourage connections between buddies in Towson High school, events and activities are organized throughout the year. Last year, Best Buddies participated in Hunt Valley’s Very Special Arts Festival where they performed a rehearsed song

and dance. This year, the club took part in the Best Buddies 5K which raised money for the club. Barbosa hopes to organize other activities such as seasonal parties, a Best Buddies Ball, and fundraising nights.

“You will become part of a revolution,” says Barbosa when asked about the influence of the club. “[It’s] a movement larger than yourself, something that, when complete, will actually end up changing the world as we know it.”

If you’re interested in being a part of this revolutionary organization, contact Mr. Muneses at [email protected].